Split pea soup or pea soup is made from dried peas. With several variation pea is the part of cuisines of many cultures. There are several recipes and soup that can be made delicious with split peas or dried peas. People can have a bowl of this soup for a comforting beginning. Pea soup is rich in nutrition like calcium, vitamin A and potassium. Some of the health benefits of peas include fiber loaded, source of minerals and help in weight control. Let us see how to prepare vegan version of split pea soup.
- Olive oil
- One chopped onion
- Three cloves of garlic
- Bay leaf
- Diced potatoes
- Stalks celery
- Split peas
- Chopped parsley
Step by step guide to prepare split pea soup
After you make ready the above mentioned ingredients you can start with heating a pan.
- Heat some vegetable oil of about one tablespoon of olive oil in a pan.
- Then add one chopped onion, three cloves of chopped garlic and bay leaf in the pan.
- Stir these ingredients in the pan for few minutes until they become tender and nice.
- Then you can add other vegetables in to the pan. Next include three diced potatoes, three chopped carrots, three chopped stalks celery and one and half cup of split peas in the pan. You must keep in mind that the split peas have to be soaked in water for about one hour.
- Next you can add some teaspoons of salt, one tablespoon of thyme and half a cup of chopped parsley in to the same pan. You can use either fresh or dried thyme as per its availability.
- Add seven and a half cup of water in the pan and increase the heat to bring the soup to boil. Put the lid on the pan and reduce the heat after you find the soup is boiling. Covering the pan will let the vegetables cooked well.
- After one hour you can remove the lid and you can find the peas and vegetables cooked well. The volume of water will get reduced and you will get a thick soup. Taste the soup and add some more salt if required.
- You have to discard the bay leaf from the soup.
This is how a vegan, nutritious and delicious split pea soup is prepared. People can enjoy their evening or morning with this hot and delicious soup. If anyone wants to add flavor to this soup, they can add different spices to have new flavor of soup. But they have to make sure it goes well with the split peas. This will be a healthy soup that anyone can enjoy. If you are worry about your kid avoid vegetables in the meal, you can surprise you kid with this delicious soup, let him or her enjoy the meal as well as stay healthy. This is the best way to let your stubborn kid add vegetables in his diet.